Saturday, September 25, 2010

Back to Bucarestî


The title of my journal page is "Bucharestî Cart Horse".  I entered it in the Old Fashion theme for this week at Illustration Friday because when I visited Romania, it was like going back in time.  I saw men using scythes to cut hay, cart horses like this gentle boy transporting many things, and people who herded and protected the livestock in lieu of fencing.  I fell in love with the place...

Although it is one page of a journal I started last summer after my first trip to Romania, it is also a mixed media collage. For a larger image click here. I transfered my photo image onto watercolor paper and used watercolor pencils, vellum, sewing machine stitching, magazine pages, and decorative paper for a binding.  I am still toying with the idea of turning it into a paper quilt rather than a traditional book form journal.  We shall see when all the pages come together.

I have now been to Romania twice and hope that there may be more visits in the future.  My daughters and I have made some life-long friends that I hope to see again one day.  In the meantime I try to keep the Eastern Europe influences alive and well here in Michigan. 

No comments:

Post a Comment