Tuesday, January 22, 2013

I Finally Learned to Felt!

Since discovering the 212 Arts  Center, I have been soaking in the camaraderie of fellow artists and some amazing classes.  I have finally taken a felting class after falling more and more in love with the material.  What fun!  I have definitely found a new passion! We cut out shapes from sheets of felt (NOT the cheap crafty felt you find in the craft section) and arranged them on a backing piece.  We pinned the shapes in place then wetted our designs with a mixture of water and Murphy's Oil Soap.  After gently rubbing them in circular motions with a wadded up plastic bag as they were sandwiched between bubble wrap and rug backing material, we removed the pins.  Then we then rolled and unrolled them providing different types of agitation.  Finally, if we wanted extra texture (which I did) we dropped/tossed them over and over onto the table surface.  To finish, we rinsed them in cool water to remove the soap and we blotted them dry.

Here are a couple of photos of the two pieces I finished today...




2 comments: