Monday, October 21, 2013

Mirror, Mirror...

My self portraits are finished and ready to hang for the upcoming self portrait show at 212 Arts Center.  In my self portrait art quilt I've shown cropped portions of the eyes...






but for the most part I've kept the piece under wraps until it was completed.  Well, it is completed!  Here it is...
It's a little wacky, and the lips are very strange but I had fun with it.  It involved A TON of hand stitching, a few charms, and one chicken!  Oh, and if you recognize the fabric...Shhhh, don't tell (wink, wink).

My second piece is from a class I took with Jean Canavan where we painted our self portrait using mirrors in the style of an old master.  I chose Modigliani, hence my title: "Modigliani and Me"

Amedeo Clemente Modigliani was an Italian painter and sculptor who worked mainly in France. Primarily a figurative artist, he became known for paintings and sculptures in a modern style, characterized by mask-like faces and elongation of form.  To see examples of his work look here.

If I have enough time, I may try an encaustic self portrait in the style of Frida Kahlo.  I wonder how I'll look with a uni brow!  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment