Friday, July 8, 2011

It's Raspberry Season!

This week my family found the first raspberries off our plants. I can't tell you how excited I am, as we've never had much luck growing raspberries in past years. This year our plants are large, healthy, and full of berries! I spent the morning weeding the garden and the berry beds and picking the first crop of my favorite fruit.

Did you know: An individual raspberry weighs about 4 g, on average and is made up of around 100 drupelets. each of which consists of a juicy pulp and a single central seed.
We have two kinds of raspberries; the traditional red raspberry and blush- a lighter colored variety.

My faithful, hilarious companion Lexi. Apparently he likes the raspberries too!


I got the garden completely weeded this morning...let's see how long it lasts.



This is our gentle giant, Thor. We have a small row of corn growing right in front of the chicken run.



Me, surveying my handiwork with my other companion, Dylan.

No comments:

Post a Comment