Friday, January 31, 2014

Fabric, Layer, Stitch, Repeat

It seems this last year of my life has been about rediscovering art.  I've never given up working with my hands, but it has been in a more practical way.  Planting, harvesting, preserving, caring for animals, perhaps creating the occasional greeting card, or putting together a few scrapbooks have been the extent of my creating things.  It appears I left having art in my life when I left college. Until this last year, that is. 

The last 12 months I have been rediscovering the art of creating in many different media through classes at Two Twelve Art Center and Quilting Season.  I've worked in creating acrylic paintings, recycled sketchbooks, needlework and embroidery, felting, mobiles, glass, photography, drawing, collage, paper weaving, encaustic, and quilting.

In that time, I have discovered  an affinity for encaustic collage and fabric/fiber collage.  I've used my sewing machine more in the last 6 months than I did since owning it in the last 17 years!  I've enjoyed the process of experimenting and collaborating with other artists on their techniques.  This fabric collage I am working on currently is from verbal instructions I received from fellow artist, Kat, a gracious teacher who is always willing to share her knowledge with others.


This is not a finished piece, mind you.  It is still a work in progress.  As I continue to put my composition training to work, and experimenting with different textures and color theory, I have a long way to go!  This piece is taking a bit more time as I have been working with all hand sewing and embroidery.

Here are some details:



Here are my first steps in the project:





I'm hoping to work on a series of this type.  I'll post more as it unfolds.  If you have any tips or comments on what I've done, please post!  I welcome all comments and critiques.  Happy Creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment