Thursday, October 11, 2018

Laura Heine's Collage Sea Turtle Art Quilt

First of all this is not my design or my quilt.  However, I jumped at the chance to take this collage quilting technique class with Lisa B. at Ann Arbor Sewing Center so I could learn how it was created.  Let me give credit to the designer, Laura Heine.  This particular design is called "Seawell".

I have been passionate about collage since forever.  However, I am fairly new at traditional quilt construction let alone art quilt construction so I thought it would be advantageous to learn how to create this the "right" way.  Later I can break all the rules when I create my own collages! (evil grin)

Isn't it fantastic! I was blown away by the number of layers and bits of fabric used.  Pieces you'd think were all one fabric were mainly collages of several different fabrics. For example: the shell of the sea turtle has several multi-colored segments that make it up.  I thought each segment was one fabric. Not at all!  There are probably 3-4 layers or more of several fabrics to create one segment on that shell!  That blew me away.  How about you?


No comments:

Post a Comment