Thursday, January 7, 2016

Flying With Free Motion


Sometimes my best ideas come about when I'm in that lovely zone of being half asleep and half awake.  This morning I was hit with the idea of finally trying my hand at free motion quilting to embellish my lovely bird sketch from yesterday's post.

I had already purchased the darning foot needed so I found a YouTube demo video of free motion sewing for beginners.  Then I pulled out my handy dandy sewing machine manual and discovered that "Yes! My feed dogs could be lowered!"

Scraps of fabric handy, I began the process of testing my tension until I got it just about right.  After a few more rounds on the scrap fabric, I pulled out my bird and began to try my hand at free motion sewing.  It was a bit tricky at first, but as I began to feel how to smoothly move it under the needle, I relaxed.  It suddenly felt more natural.  I love the back as much as the front. This is what I came up with...





No comments:

Post a Comment