Monday, July 27, 2015

Glue Resist Fabric Painting and a New Batch of Prayer Flags

I've been wanting to create some more prayer flags since selling my first one.  Learning a new and fun technique - glue resist fabric painting- was just the inspiration I needed.

This guy is in the process of being embellished for an art quilt.


Glue resist is an easy process that takes no time at all.  I used Elmer's blue gel glue and drew my designs on pre-washed good quality muslin fabric. 

You can wait and let them dry for several hours or overnight or use a blow dryer to speed things up.


The fun begins by adding fabric paint.  I try to envision that it will be white wherever the glue is.

Have fun with patterns and dots.

After your designs are painted, press with a hot iron between two sheets of parchment paper.  This will set the paint into the fabric.

Then I generally soak the pieces in a bowl of water for a couple of hours as I tend to glue very thickly.  Afterward wash items in the washing machine and the glue will be gone.

You can see the bold white lines that the glue preserved.





TaDah!

No comments:

Post a Comment