Tuesday, March 26, 2013

писанка, Pysanka, or Ouă Vopsite


Pysanka

A pysanka  ( Ukrainian: писанка, plural: pysanky ) is a Ukrainian Easter egg, decorated using a wax-resist ( batik) method. The word comes from the verb pysaty, "to write", as the designs are not painted on, but written with beeswax. Many other eastern European ethnic groups, including the Belarusians (пісанка), Bulgarians (писано яйце, pisano yaytse ), Croats ( pisanica), Czechs ( kraslice ), Lithuanians ( margutis ), Poles ( pisanka), Romanians ( ouă vopsite  or incondeiate ), Slovaks ( kraslica ), and Slovenes ( pisanica  or pirh ) decorate eggs in a similar manner for Easter.   (Definition from reference.com)


Since my camera was stolen several days ago; which was an example of Murphy's Law at it's best - er worst...

"the first time you forget to bring your very expensive camera in from the car, is the night your car gets broken into." 

Simultaneously, I have been reintroduced to Mr. Murphy as -


"The minute you have no camera, there are a million things you need to photograph!"

Of course, I am now craving to post on my blog by the minute, share THE COOLEST things I am doing with my face book friends, and seeing the most amazing sights EVER...because I don't have "Precious" anymore.  I'm certain those who know me well would never describe me as melodramatic or having an exaggeration streak....well, never mind.

I have decided to pull out the old point and shoot and see how creative I can be with a more modest camera.  So in honor of spring (Right. Brrrr) I've decided to post some of the eggs that I have created over the years.
























No comments:

Post a Comment